Balancing the Paranormal and the Romance
It’s difficult enough to write a good romance, or to write a good paranormal or fantasy novel—when you put the two together you now have an even bigger challenge. How do you structure your story so the paranormal plot doesn’t overwhelm the romance? How do you create characters that have a great romance—with paranormal elements that increase the conflict and are key to the story? This workshop looks at a process to create a really strong paranormal romance that has a romance as the main story arc, but which also uses paranormal/fantasy elements that are vital to the plot.
- What’s the difference between Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Paranormal, and Paranormal Romance?
- Blending other subgenres (such as suspense) into the mix—what can this give you and what are the dangers?
- What’s a story arc and what are character arcs?
- Crafting your characters for romantic conflict that includes vital paranormal elements?
- How to balance action and romance—what are the turning points for each?
- How to test if your story is really more of a paranormal/fantasy or a romance?
- Do you have strong enough antagonists—and are they well developed to create maximum romantic conflicts and increase the paranormal/fantasy elements?
- Making sure the dark moment hits both the romance and the paranormal/fantasy story line.