Dialogue: Don’t Let ‘Em Say What You Mean
We all know great dialogue when we read it—and the best dialogue seems effortless. But good dialogue takes work and a few key ingredients.
What do you need to get your characters talking in ways that make for riviting, exciting scenes?
1) Your Characters’ Voices
2) Conflict: Everyone Needs to Want Something
3) Making it Better Than Reality
4) Subtext: Layering Under the Words
5) Internal Dialogue – What’s too Much?
6) Invisible Tags and Punctuation
7) Accents, Ye Olde English, and Slang
8) Punch it! – Making Careful Edits