Five Tips for Writing Paranormals
Hi All! I love October so much! The leaves start to change, the nights get colder, and suddenly mist covers the ground every morning. Somehow the moon is higher and brighter…and kind of mysterious. For those of us who write paranormals, this is a great time of year to be inspired.
Yeah, I’ve heard the paranormal market is going soft, but I’ve never been a big believer in listening to market issues. There’s a huge paranormal market out there, and those readers are voracious in their appetites for books. If you have a paranormal romance in you burning to be written, you should definitely write it. It’ll find many homes.
Here are five tips for writing paranormal books as summer deserts us and winter edges our way.
- Remember even if your hero is a six foot genius vampire with huge pecs and perfectly rugged features who single-handedly has saved humanity three times…he has to have a flaw somewhere. And no…being too kind, endowed, or brilliant don’t count. My favorites are when the character has to fight his own flaw, usually in the nick of time to beat the bad guy.
- Remember that your reader probably isn’t a six foot genius vampire…nor is she dating one. So it’s crucial to find a way for your reader to relate to the characters. I have two sisters and a strong family life, and so my vampires deal with family life daily. The Dark Protector Series is about five brothers and how they not only find love but work together to save their race.
- Remember that whatever exciting, complex, deep world you build in Book 1…you’re stuck with for the rest of the series. Leave yourself some wiggle room. Also, you don’t have to build your entire world in book one. You just need enough of your world for that book to make sense.
- Remember that there are tons of paranormal books out there—make your world different. Put your unique spin on it. I’m a lawyer and things have to make a sort of logical sense to me. So I had to figure out HOW a male vampire (who in my world is very much alive) could make his mate immortal—turns out genetics and the mutation of chromosomes made sense. It was a different spin, at least enough of one that my editor was intrigued.
- Finally, don’t hold yourself back. As writers, we often stop and think about how the next editor/reader/reviewer/our first grade teacher/our neighbor…etc. will react to our secret little worlds. Don’t worry about them. Let yourself go and have some fun with creating.
Finally, have fun. Remember why you decided to start writing in the beginning. Forget about markets, forget about rules, and dive into your story and characters. That’s where the good stuff can be found. Happy Halloween month, everyone!
MARKED Releases on December 22, 2014. Blurb: Janie Kayrs has known Zane almost her whole life. He was her friend in the dream world. She trusted him. But that was before he kidnapped her, spiriting her away to an isolated cabin to learn what her dreams never told her. Like how dangerous he looks. How he got on the wrong side of the negotiating table. And how much sexier he is in real life…
Zane is a battle-hardened warrior, used to command and solitude. But Janie has drawn him from the minute they met. His need for her could destroy everything he’s worked for, but the risk is too sweet not to take it. They call her the Chosen One. But when it comes down to the questions of peace or war, life or death, safety or passion, it will be Janie who makes the choice…
BIO: New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Rebecca Zanetti writes dark paranormals, romantic suspense, and contemporary romances. She’s sold from the slush pile, from auction, from pre-empt, and most recently from a short conversation with an editor that turned into a five book deal. She believes strongly in luck, karma, and working her butt off…and she thinks one of the best things about being an author, unlike the lawyer she used to be, is that she can let the crazy out. Currently, she is writing the bestselling Dark Protector series from Kensington, with the tenth book, MARKED, being released in December; the bestselling Sin Brothers series from Grand Central, with TOTAL SURRENDER, book 4, being released in March of 2015, and finally, the Maverick Montana series from Entangled, with RISING ASSETS, the third book, hitting the New York Times and the USA Today Bestseller lists. Find Rebecca at: www.rebeccazanetti.com