Self-Publishing Part 1: Creating Your Self-Publishing Business
This workshop is Part 1 of a two part, five week self-publishing workshop designed to teach students about the business of self-publishing books digitally and in print.
Self-publishing provides an amazing opportunity for authors to take control of their own publishing career. It’s also a lot of hard work. Authors must build successful, long-running businesses and supervise their own production and distribution process.
Part 1 covers:
- Basics of self-employment models: sole proprietor, LLC, corporation
- Protecting your privacy if you write under a pseudonym
- Registering your copyright
- Obtaining ISBNs and when they’re necessary
- Creating a preliminary budget
Workshop Goals include:
- For students to gain a clearer understanding of how to self-publish
- For students to take ownership of their publishing career path
- For students to gain perspective on the financial and artistic reasons to choose self-publishing
- For students to gain knowledge and tools to help them embark on self-publishing their work
- For students to discover trustworthy resources for further research